Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Saul Leiter

For my next assignment I've been looking at Saul Leiter"s work. Although his main body of work has been fashion for the likes of Bazaar, Vogue, Elle etc, as a trained painter he also photographed many colourful abstracts of New York city life. Many of his images are through steamed up windows or reflections in windows. This other side of his work is only now becoming more important than his fashion work. He has quite a cult following in America and the few books that he has had published are now very expensive and not all ways available.I particularly like the colours he has chosen to include and the degree of abstract that he has chosen. There is always enough left in the scene to provide the viewer with sense of what was happening, and even sets the imagination in motion more than if he had captured all the surroundings.















































I've added a few of my own images below that I have taken after absorbing Leiter's work. I like this type of urban photography very much and have taken to the streets in search of these abstracts and decisive moments that I have also learnt from following Henri Cartier-Bresson's work.




















No comments:

Post a Comment