Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Major Project

For my next assignment I will be submitting the next two stages of my Major Project. These stages consist of tuk tuks and klong (canal) life.

Tuk tuks

Tuk tuks were introduced to Thailand from Japan more than 45 years ago. They were named 'tuk tuks' from the noise their engine makes. After Japan stopped making them some 30 years ago, Thailand took over the production of them due to their popularity in Thailand, and they are still made here today.

For this part of my Major Project I want to show the tuk tuk in an interesting and unusual way, but still maintaining the main purpose of the tuk tuk, which is to transport people around the narrow and busy back streets in the cities.

I decided to rent some tuk tuks and ask the driver to take me around some of the old parts of Bangkok so I could get a real feel for what it was like for the drivers of these vehicles. During the tour I took many photos from the back seat using a wide angle lens. Most of these images came out blurred or with the wrong exposure as the scene was changing so fast. Try taking a photo out the window of a moving car - not easy! Fortunately some of them came out very well and so I will be including one or two taken in the style with my major project.

In order for people to understand what a tuk tuk looks like from the outside I will also include at least one external view point.

The following images are just a small sample of some of the photos I've taken during my outings for this part of the Major Project.




































Klongs


Klongs are basically an organized set of canals that form an important part of Bangkok's urban layout. They have been in existence for hundreds of years. Traveling along any of Bangkok's klongs one will find temples, markets, houses, shops and even factories.

When I chose klongs as part of my Major Project I didn't know exactly what I would be including, but did know they would offer an abundance of interesting photographic opportunities. After making a few trips on some nearby klongs, and researching what had been done before, I decided that I wanted present some images that wouldn't have been seen before. As the klongs are a popular tourist activity most of the everyday life and especially the floating markets have been photographed so often, I decided to go to some of the less well frequented klongs and capture some of the more interesting houses that line the klongs.

Below are some of the everyday activities that one can see when traveling along the klongs.

The starting and finishing point for most people hiring a boat on the Chao Phraya river.





















One of the many stopping off points for eating and shopping.
























Everyday life on the klongs.

































No comments:

Post a Comment