Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kathmandu

This month I was trekking in Nepal with a friend. We started off and finished the holiday in Kathmandu that is a treasure trove for photographers. I've added a few images below that provide some feeling about the place.



This first image is a bath of colour, but with orange taking on the most prominent role, the purples and greens can be seen as harmonious. The scene is one of happiness and the fruits, vegetables and flowers take on the same shape as the surrounding building making the scene less chaotic.













Almost one hour later I was making my way back to the hotel when I spotted this butcher only a few meters away from the image above. The contrast is quite obvious. This image changes my mood completely. There is a lone man with a depressed look, trying to sell some cuttings from what looks like goats and a bird of some sort. The table looks dirty and the carcasses look like they have been cut with a blunt instrument. In the foreground there is an old bicycle that may belong to the butcher. This image makes me feel slightly sad.




















In this image there is a holy man dressed in bright orange robes making a meditative sign with his right hand. After negotiating a small fee for the privilege of photographing him, I asked him to position himself in front of the temple because I noticed the colours were very similar to his robe. I used a wide aperture so the point of focus remained on his face. I would have preferred not to have the tall post on his right, but it was unavoidable. I may try and clone it out.



















I like this image despite the chaotic colours. The reds all around draw the eye too and fro, but when the eye realizes everything is slightly out of focus except the rickshaw it comes as almost a relief. By panning the camera and freezing the rickshaw amongst all the colour, a 3D appearance is made.














This next image shows four young boys playing in a public square. Their shape forms a square that matches the square paving tiles and the shape of the water fountain and stupa in the background. It reminds me of when I was young and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment